Monday, March 21, 2005

The LURPS Effect In Action

Every time I go into town, I see at least one LURPer.

On Saturday, it was Luke in gothically-invalid till-monkey outfit, followed immediately after their departure by Jonno and Helena.

This morning, I spotted Craig Becker walking across Market Square, followed by Lindsey (wearing Luke's hat) entering St. Nicholas's Arcade. Then, as I was musing the LURPS effect, Kitty wandered past Radioshack.

Weird... Do we spend all our lives circulating Lancaster city centre (such as it is) in the hope of bumping into people?

Anyhow, musings on other people being in very crowded places aside, I had a job interview this morning.

It was up on Westbourne Road, at Social Services Supported Housing Service, for a word processor operator position. I think it went reasonably well.

I won't find out if I've got the job until after Easter, and it will take several months for the Criminal Records Bureau to finish their checks, so I should be able to decline the job if I end up getting into St. Martin's. 18.5 hours a week, on less than the police station, but it's only one full day and three half-days a week, so I should be able to fit in some TIC stuff as well.

Also, booked myself an eye test. Turns out that because I'm claiming Jobseekers' Allowance, I don't have to pay. Much wootage.


Rant (feel free to skip):

And what would a blog entry be without a rant: George Fucking Bush!!! After seven years of legal wranglings, the fucking fundamentalists in the US government are trying to make a law that prevents the feeding tube being removed from a woman who's been in a persistent vegetative state (i.e. braindead) for seven years, despite the fact that multiple court hearings have agreed that she wanted to be switched off if she ever went into a PVS...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4358877.stm

Fucking inhuman bastards...

Plus, it also sets a dangerous precedent: the judicial system is being overruled by politicians who can simply write a new law every time a particular case clashes with their ideological position.


Recent web searches leading to my blogspot:

archangel
bbc archangel
brandenburgers canaris
"Gordon Messenger"
Archangel
Archangel BBC
BBC Archangel

Lt. Col. Gordon Messenger was the commanding officer of the Royal Marines who captured Basra. The search led to that story about the old man who was forced to become a suicide bomber by the Fedayeen, but instead he surrendered. A hell of a moving story.

The mass of 'archangel' searches are presumably to do with the BBC's adaptation of Robert Harris's novel, Archangel.


Recent musical (re)discoveries:

Tears For Fears (by way of downloading Mad World)
Human League (following a misnamed version of Hold Me Now, listed as being Tears For Fears)
Thompson Twins (who also did a version of Hold Me Now)

Ah, the 80s...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home