Sunday, March 06, 2005

Peter Z Malkin, RIP

The man who captured Adolf Eichmann, one of the chief architects of the Holocaust, died on Tuesday. He was also an artist and author, producing a book of art during the operation to kidnap Eichmann from his refuge in Argentina, and later writing an autobigraphical account of the incident.

Here's an extract from the book, Eichmann In My Hands, that I just found really moving:

I knelt beside her bed and took her hand. "Mama," I whispered. "Mama, it's me Peter."
The elderly lady in the next bed turned toward me.
"She doesn't talk," she spoke loudly in Yiddish.
"Mama, I want to tell you something. What I promised, I have done. I captured Eichmann."
There was no response.
"Mama, Fruma was avenged. It was her brother who captured Adolf Eichmann."
I repeated it.
"Quiet," said the other lady, "she doesn't hear."
But suddenly her hand began to squeeze mine.
"Do you understand, Mama? I captured Eichmann."
Her eyes were open now. "Yes," she managed in a whisper, "I understand."


http://www.petermalkin.com/

I've got to get this book at some point. There's some sample chapters on the site.

________________________

Cthulhu Live this afternoon. Very fun, if exhausting. Maybe I'll write more about that tomorrow or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home