Friday, April 25, 2003

Quick update:

- Tariq Aziz has given himself up to coalition troops, apparently after he failed to negotiate for terms.

- According to Bush, the observer on the ground after the initial 'decapitation' strike at the start of the war says that Saddam was at the very least severely injured. This would mean that all the sightings of him since then were either pre-recorded or doubles. Or faked. If he was capable of appearing behind a desk, they could hide the bandages, wheelchair and whatnot - that's what the Americans did with Roosevelt during World War II. In backwater areas, many Americans didn't even realise that their president was a cripple, thanks to seated photographs and painful braces that held him upright when necessary.

- Slobodan Milosevic and his wife have been charged with murdering a rival, Ivan Stambolic, former president of Serbia. Stambolic was best man at Slobodan and Mirjana's wedding, but they fell out in the late 80s. Apparently, police investigating the Zoran Djindjic assassination managed to find evidence saying where Stambolic's body was.


And me?

I've been rejected by the Creative Writing department, so I'm a month and a half away from being thrown headlong into the real world.

No more student discounts.

No more lying in bed until lectures at 2pm.

No more essays.

No more exams.

No more dissertations.

No more visiting the porters' lodge to pick up mail.

No more computer labs.

No more seminars.

No more lectures.

It's going to be interesting.

At least now I have no pressure to get a 2:1 (which it's now impossible for me to get anyway) and no more restrictions on what I can write. I might not get an MA out of it, but at least I can write whatever I like, no matter how derivative and based in someone else's universe it might be.

On one level I'm scared, but I'm also looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home