Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Okay, here's an issue that's just been raised today.

I view MSN conversations as being an interactive form of email. Therefore, I tend to save important ones as .txt files, so that if I ever try to remember what it was that was said in a particular conversation, I can look it up.

Liz compared saving an MSN conversation to recording a phone call to a friend. I didn't particularly enjoy being compared to Linda Tripp, oddly enough.

No one else has ever objected to me saving an MSN conversation, and I disagree that it counts as a text-based phonecall. The immediate alternative to an MSN conversation isn't (for me at least) to ring someone up, it's to send an email. No one complains if you save old emails, or old letters, so where's the problem in saving an MSN conversation?

It's not even a real conversation - you type something you don't want to say, therefore you delete it and retype something else. Try doing that with speech, and you end up calling your girlfriend "a slu..., no, I mean, you were drunk, yes, that's it, you were drunk".

MSN Messenger is interactive email, simple as that.

Any opinions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home